Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Eventful trip to Wal Mart today

  1. #21
    Inactive Member ibe4warriors's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    957
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Eventful trip to Wal Mart today

    Just to let everyone know...Do NOT buy the watermelons there either.We got 2 for our reunuion and they were awful..Sat in the sun WAY to long.$8:00 wasted.The worse melons ever.
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/PHSfootballfan[/url]

  2. #22
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Eventful trip to Wal Mart today

    I got a great one there Friday. A yellow watermelon.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  3. #23
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Eventful trip to Wal Mart today

    Picking fruit isn't a perfect science though folks. Especially melons since they don't allow them to be plugged anymore. There are various "techniques" people use, but nothing is perfect. Weight per size is probably the most accurate.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #24
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Eventful trip to Wal Mart today

    Just to clarify - the yellow watermelon I got was supposed to be yellow. Wasn't being sarcastic about my purchase [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

    I look for a yellowish bottom, withered stem (meaning on the ground long enough), and no soft or dark spots on the rind (meaning not beginning to visibly over-riped). And you just hope you've picked the right one.

    I got a surprisingly bad one at Food City a week or so ago. Cut it open and it was just goo on the inside. Oh well - that's how it goes sometimes.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  5. #25
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Eventful trip to Wal Mart today

    Yeah, I assumed that is what you were referring to elp. I was mentioning it more to IBA WILDCAT.

    Many theories behind good melons. Some look for little black spots on the bottom of the melon. Some thump it. Some use a straw to see if it turns across the melon. Heck, Bob and Lung use cup size! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  6. #26
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Eventful trip to Wal Mart today

    Not long ago I was picking out a watermelon. Some older ladies come up behind me and they start manhandling the watermelons - every single watermelon. They thump and beat them all and declare "they're all rotten - oh how nasty" etc. etc. I ignored them, purchased my watermelon and it turned out to be the best one of the year.
    I was amused by that. The "Melon Experts" failed.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  7. #27
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Eventful trip to Wal Mart today

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heck, Bob and Lung use cup size! </div></div>

    Never been a fan of watermelon. Other things that go in cups, BIG FAN!!
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  8. #28
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Eventful trip to Wal Mart today

    Thats why I just said good melons, and not watermelons in particular in that part of the post.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  9. #29
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Eventful trip to Wal Mart today

    I have my own way of picking melons and it is by feel on the opposite end from the stem, it should be a little soft not mushy but just soft. Learned this from working at the PayLess from the produce guy.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  10. #30
    Inactive Member neutral88's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2007
    Posts
    2,568
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Eventful trip to Wal Mart today

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ironlung</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heck, Bob and Lung use cup size! </div></div>

    Never been a fan of watermelon. Other things that go in cups, BIG FAN!! </div></div>

    Gotta watch those ones that are just real big on cup size, If the mellon has much age on it, it's gauranteed to be super soft and saggy once you get it home [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif[/img]
    Need A Penny? Take A Penny...Need 2 Pennies? Get A Job!!!
    [img]http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/sports_photos/College/Football/james-davis-GI.jpg[/img]





Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •